08 Sep Stem cell therapy for dogs
Stem cell technology is a relatively new and exciting branch of veterinary medicine. Stem cells are cells that can be safely harvested from adult animal tissues. Once harvested, the stem cells can be injected and induced to grow into a large number of different cell types.
The cells are easily taken from adipose tissue in adult animals without any harm to that animal. A centrifuge is then used to separate the fat cells from the stem cells. These cells are then injected directly into the affected area whether it be a joint, ligament or bone. Here, they will then quickly begin to grow. Stem Cell therapy offers the possibility of using these cells to grow into replacements for injured tissues at these injection sites.
Most common stem cell uses in Veterinary Medicine
Today in Australia, Stem cell treatment is available for the treatment of canine arthritis and degenerative joint disorders as well as the treatment of tendon and ligament disorders in horses.
The main focus of stem cell use here has been in the treatment of arthritis and degenerative joint disorders in the canine population.
Stem Cells are also used as an adjunct therapy to surgery eg cruciate repair. It has been reported that not only is healing recovery time substantially reduced but also the repair and rejuvenation of the tissue is substantially improved post surgery.
What dogs may be suitable for this treatment?
Your dog may benefit from stem cell therapy if they meet any one of the following conditions:
- Has osteoarthritis or immune mediated polyarthritis identified in one or more joints
- Is not responding well or cannot tolerate pain medication
- is likely to need long term pain medications
- is not a good surgical candidate due to age or health
- Pet owners who prefer a natural therapy
What to expect:
It has been reported that over 90% of dogs treated for arthritis with stem cells have shown an improvement in their condition (quality of life) and that 75% of dogs had a substantial improvement.
Benefits of stem cell therapy for your pet:
- Improved quality of life for your pet as a result of increased mobility and decreased pain.
- Its a non invasive same day procedure. Its a straight forward, quick to administer and non invasive injection. Therapies can be administered on the same day.
- 90% of dogs treated for arthritis will see an improvement within 5 months with some actually seeing an improvement within days.
- Quick recovery
- While your pet will recover very quickly from the treatment it is recommended to keep them as quiet as possible for 10 days after the injection.
A relatively simple procedure to inject the stem cells into the affected area: